Tayo Great Gumbo is healthy! Not only is it made with all natural, organic ingredients. Not only does it NOT have preservatives. Not only does it NOT have added sugars and oils. It also makes a delicious vegan dish! That's right...all the flavor and richness without any animal products. Give this a try!
- 14 cups water
- 30 ozs black beans
- 10 ozs mushrooms
- 2 lbs cut okra, fresh or frozen*
- 30 ozs canned diced tomatoes or 3 large tomatoes, diced*
- 1 jar of Tayo Great Gumbo!
Put dry ingredients of Tayo Great Gumbo! in small mixing bowl
- Boil 14 cups water; turn down to simmer
- Add 3-4 cups of boiled liquid to dry ingredients (from Step 1)
- Stir to make dark paste
- Spoon paste back into simmering liquid
- Partially cover pot (ensure it is well vented to prevent overflow)
- Turn up heat to medium boil; STIR OCCASIONALLY
- Cook for 30 minutes or until rice is tender
- Add black beans, mushrooms, okra, and tomatoes
- Cook 10 more minutes for a good mixing of flavors
*I use okra and tomatoes for my gumbo because it's easy and I like the flavors and consistency they add. Feel free to substitute with the vegetables you love most. If you use vegetables that need a little more cooking time to tenderize, you'll want to pre-cook them before Step 9.
Vegetable variation - "Holy Trinity":
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
2 cups finely chopped green bell pepper
2 cups finely chopped celery
Sautee in pan about 10-15 minutes or until tender.