Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
The old staple...Chicken and sausage gumbo. It's the gumbo dish that I first learned to make and it's still my go-to. You can't go wrong serving this at the table.
CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE GUMBO
- 14 cups water
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken
- 1 lb Andouille or other spicy sausage
- 2 lbs cut okra, fresh or frozen*
- 3 large tomatoes, diced, or 30 ozs canned diced tomatoes*
- 1 jar of Tayo Great Gumbo!
- Boil chicken to 165° internal temp; shred or cut to bite size pieces
- Cook sausage in oven for 45 min at 350° (or 160° internal temp); cut to bite size pieces
- Put dry ingredients of Tayo Great Gumbo in small mixing bowl
- Boil 14 cups water; turn down to simmer
- Add 3-4 cups of boiled liquid to dry ingredients (from Step 1)
- Stir to make dark paste
- Spoon paste back into simmering liquid
- Partially cover pot (ensure it is well vented to prevent overflow)
- Turn up heat to medium boil; STIR OCCASIONALLY
- Cook for 30 minutes or until rice is tender
- Add meats, okra, and tomatoes
- Cook 10 to 15 more minutes for a good mixing of flavors
*I use okra and tomatoes for my gumbo because it's easy and I like the flavors and consistency they add. Feel free to substitute with the vegetables you love most. If you use vegetables that need a little more cooking time to tenderize, you'll want to pre-cook them before Step 9.
Vegetable variation - "Holy Trinity":
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
2 cups finely chopped green bell pepper
2 cups finely chopped celery
Sautee in pan about 10-15 minutes or until tender.